Monday, January 5, 2015

Enjoying the Sunshine

Click to bid               7 by 10 inches,    Acrylic on acid free illustration board
The red door outlining the figure was the element that prompted me to paint this one.
I sometimes find it difficult to paint children without depicting lots of sugary sentimentality. 
I attended an art competition a few years ago.  Most of the paintings depicted children in various whimsical activities.  One painting showed a small boy eating a watermelon while another showed a little girl blowing soap bubbles while a kitten was jumping to pop the bubbles.  Sentimentality is an easy emotion to bring forth in an artwork.  For some artists it works wonderfully.  Generally I try to paint children so the viewer finds more subtle emotions to take away from the painting.  From my perspective this painting works in that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment